New Battle "Optimization" and Effects

Discuss anything about Galaxy At War Online.

Moderators: GAW Moderator, Forum Moderator

DoctorWho

New Battle "Optimization" and Effects

Postby DoctorWho » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:09 pm

Ok, let me first say that this change was entirely inappropriate as it was not only done without warning but also done without letting us know, and your staff personally lied to me when I asked saying and I quote

"Hi, the routine maintenance this time is just optimize the game data, no new things. :)"

This was obviously a lie and the first time I saw a battle report was able to tell that Immediately. This is a great way to do things if you want to lose all your loyal playerbase.

Ok with that out of the way down to the meat of the problem.

Debris = 20%

Light fighters vs Cruisers... Normally there would be zero losses with a 5 to 1 ratio that is 5 light fighters lose to 1 cruiser and the cruiser suffers no loss. With the new system 2500 light fighters vs 500 cruisers you now lose 94 of them almost 25% This gets worse as you move up the ship tier chain.

I personally after the change, launched an attack which should have netted me a profit of 3 million after losses and gas were taken in to consideration and instead cost me over 16 million instead. I lost 90+ destroyers and 90+ bombers where I should have lost 20 and 5.

If you think this protects the newer players you are not following the logical course of profit it does not, in fact it puts them more in the cross hairs than they already are and here is why.

If I am targeting big fleets for profit now (as I was before change) I leave the little players alone, if you make those large fleet battles unprofitable (as they have) I now have to change targets to remain gaining profits.

So you are in effect counteracting the glory system HARD, as the glory system keeps us in check my making it less profitable (but not unprofitable) to attack lower players due to hard mine production cuts (gas being the biggest concern) now with the new system the tables are hard flipped and it is now MUCH more profitable to FARM little players to death than to go after bigger players fleets due to the amount of ships lost repair time and inadequate debris field compensation (assuming you get all the debris yourself as size is largely unpredictable as are the new battles with the new system).

The introduction of absolute CHAOS in to the battle system and the now complete inability to calculate how a battle will go with any degree of accuracy further pushes big players like myself to simply move to farming either other players or alts... Which is a WHOLE other bag of worms.

Long story short, if you want to see lots of players quit? Force aggressive players in to farming the smaller players to death by making large fleet battles between the "sharks" unprofitable. The sharks won't stop being sharks they will simply move to smaller prey to avoid starvation.

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Re: New Battle "Optimization" and Effects

Postby Talizorah » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:36 am

"...we optimized the formula of battle and the mechanism of the choice of aims."

This is the feedback I received on this issue. I still don't quite fully understand what is meant by this except is sounds like there is now priority targeting on a per unit type basis. What this is I do not know, only that capital ships - dreads in particular - are getting hit very hard by light fighters and light lasers. It would be much appreciated for clarification on this issue, and what exactly is meant by this choice of aims. Perhaps showing us a table or percentage similar to rapidfire might alleviate some of the mystery behind this issue?

Also I heard this was a Scorpio only update, is this true?

DoctorWho

Re: New Battle "Optimization" and Effects

Postby DoctorWho » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:25 am

I can verify this is also on Virgo and we HATE it, most of the top ten pvp or otherwise players are asking for refunds on dm and are most likely going to quit the game.

Return to “General Discussion”