PUSH-MESSAGE ABOUT ATTACKS

When reporting a Bug/Issue please specify your In-Game Username for better Troubleshooting. You can also report bugs in the game. Give us your feedback about Galaxy At War Online and ideas for new features.

Moderators: GAW Moderator, Forum Moderator

Konalenik

PUSH-MESSAGE ABOUT ATTACKS

Postby Konalenik » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:21 pm

I suggest to make push-message about future attacks on player's planets

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Re: PUSH-MESSAGE ABOUT ATTACKS

Postby Talizorah » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:56 pm

Unfortunately, I don't see this happening. As it is, it is hard enough to catch a players fleet while they are away from the game due to how often and good players are at fleet saving. Sending push-notifications about an incoming attack would eliminate any chance for most players to make a successful hit.

LakeSolon

Postby LakeSolon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:59 pm

The push notifications are such a disaster as-is I'm incredulous of any claim that any specific behavior is "as intended".

I've been meaning to write up something more comprehensive after I've collected a bit more concrete data on their existing behavior, but couldn't resist chiming in here when I saw the thread.

Now, if fleet saving was an actively balanced mechanic perhaps your concern about push notifications if early warning messages would be heavily mitigated ;)

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Postby Talizorah » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:04 am

Push notifications are sent for the following reasons:

1) Fleet arrives at destination from Attack, Transport, Deploy, Recover or Spy.
2) Fleet arrives home from Attack, Transport, Recover, or Spy.
3) When Research finishes.
4) When a building finishes on the active planet.
5) When the active planets storage capacity for any one type of res reaches a certain percentage.
6) When fleet finishes building on the active planet.

I have heard you get a push-notification now every time a fleet Joint Strikes onto your fleet, but that is unconfirmed at the moment.

Those playing on non-iOS servers do not receive any push notifications.

kaldun

Postby kaldun » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:39 am

Not working on android phones ... fix it please

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Postby Talizorah » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:52 pm

kaldun wrote:Not working on android phones ... fix it please

Only iOS devices receive push-notificatons at the moment. Players on non-iOS servers will need to send feedback, ask on facebook, or send emails to support@sphinxjoy.com about this issue to get it the devs attention on it.

LakeSolon

Postby LakeSolon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:31 pm

Specific issues:

Talizorah wrote:Push notifications are sent for the following reasons:
2) Fleet arrives home from Attack, Transport, Recover, or Spy.

In my experience a fleet returning home (ex: 9-9-9) repeats the message for it arriving at its target (ex: 1-1-1), so I get "Your fleet has arrived at 1-1-1", not "Your fleet has returned from 1-1-1" or "Your fleet has returned to 9-9-9".

2. I also seem to regularly get duplicate notifications, or very late notifications for events I've already acknowledged in game.

3. Additionally the badge count on the app icon appears to be an entirely made up number with no connection to reality, as it certainly isn't the number of notifications I've received since opening the app.

4. Activating a notification does not bring me to the relevant view in-game. It just opens the app. This may seem minor but it's pretty flagrant violation of iOS behavior guidelines / best practice.

5. There is no corresponding history of events which triggered the notifications in game. If I activate a notification associated with a fleet that returned to origin, but failed to read the notification, the game opens and there is no clue as to what just happened.

More generally:

When the messages are technically correct they are so disappointingly lacking in useful information. If I attack someone the resulting broadcast in Global Chat contains more useful information than what is sent to my phone (specifically, the alliance of who I attacked and if it was a success or not).

Things shockingly lacking from push notifications:

The behavior of the fleet (attack, deploy, transport, recover, spy (shouldn't generate notifications imo, they're annoying clutter)). The player name of the target. The alliance of the player. The name of the target planet. The name of the origin planet. The coordinates of the origin planet. The contents of a transport or deploy fleet. That a fleet's event is a return to origin as opposed to an arrival at target.

The success or failure (or 'draw') of an attack. The number of rounds an attack lasted. An indication of losses taken on both sides (ship count, resource value of ships lost, etc). The plunder taken in attack.

take a breath

And which bloody fleet‽.

I don't mean to rail on you Talizorah, your efforts on this forum deserve high praise. But the notification system is, as I previously stated, "such a disaster" =/

LakeSolon

Postby LakeSolon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:22 pm

P.S.

If I received push notifications for Early Warning Reports I wouldn't Fleet Save whenever I was looking away from the game for more than 5 minutes. And then I might not respond to a notification in time. And there would be a battle. That wouldn't have otherwise occurred.

Let's please not have two broken things (FS, notifications) trying to fix one another.

LakeSolon

Postby LakeSolon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:55 am

I'd like to see what others may have to contribute to this topic after a month.

Return to “Bugs and Suggestions”