My feedback/suggestions for Galaxy at war

When reporting a Bug/Issue please specify your In-Game Username for better Troubleshooting. You can also report bugs in the game. Give us your feedback about Galaxy At War Online and ideas for new features.

Moderators: GAW Moderator, Forum Moderator

Soulslurpy

My feedback/suggestions for Galaxy at war

Postby Soulslurpy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:09 am

Hey there,

I've been playing GAW for about a week now and after that week, although I've enjoyed playing the game up until now, I've now hit a point in the game that is frustrating enough to make me stop playing the game.

I've enjoyed the city building aspect of the game. Resources generation and building/units/researches cost are well balanced and the task system is well implemented with good incentives to keep the user interested.

The problem/frustration lies in the raiding/defending game mechanics. For the last few days, a player which far more powerful than me has been attacking me about twice a day, intentionnally aiming for my planets that have the biggest defenses, just to wipe them out. I had been mostly focussing on building defenses up until that point. But I also have long periods where I don't have the luxury of being able to play the game to react to early warning prompts.

What I've learned is that, currently, defenses are mostly useless in the game, there will virtually always be another player that is far stronger than you, and if he decides to attack you, you will loose all of the defenses that you've been building up until that point. There is nothing that you can currently do to prevent that and that is very frustrating.

You can potentially do some fleet saves to protect your ships, but the longest flight I could manage from one of my planets to the other was about 2 hours. So when I go to sleep for 8 ish hours, there is about 6 hours that my ships are still vulnerable.

Here are my suggestion to improve this:

Build a system that will allow the user to set each of their planets individual into one of two settings: offensive or inoffensive.

While in offensive mode, the user will defend against an attacking player with all combat and defensive unit currently on his planet.

In inoffensive mode, the user will not engage any attacking player and will instead just let the player raid his ressources, but his army of vessels and defenses will not be destroyed.

Other players will not be able to see what setting (offensive or inoffensive) your planets are currently in. They will need to take a chance when attacking.

This will allow players to accumulate and build up without fear of another player coming in and destroying what they've worked towards.

Also, why are civil ships used to defend your planets? Only combat ships and defenses should be used while defending

The last suggestion I'd like to make is that although the current graphics are very nice/crisp and clean. There is not nearly enough variety in the graphics. One of the best part of city building games is seeing your town grow and evolve as you build it. Currently, a brand new city(planet) has an almost identical look and feel than a fully built city(planet). Make it so the size of the city grows and evolves as you build it. Make the building evolve and grow as you upgrade them. Make it so the ground changes color and the vegetation changes from planet to planet. More variety should be added to the fleet screen. The fleet currently going from one place to the other should chang depending on what the fleet is instead of the same generic three ship fleet (change to satelites for spying, colony ship for colonizing, transport ships for transport and combat ships for raids) also the planets should update to represent the actual skins of the planets currently being flown to and from.

Alright, these are my thoughts. Take it or leave it.

Cheers.

Soulslurpy

Dev Team
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Re: My feedback/suggestions for Galaxy at war

Postby Dev Team » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

offensive or inoffensive setting is a very good idea and it is just what we need.

We will discuss this setting as soon as possible.and inform you the result firstly.

Kelsier

Postby Kelsier » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:26 pm

I have played a version of this game for several years and have seen a multitude of playstyles and whilst it is a steep learning curve you can easily stay as an unprofitable target to hit in many ways. 1 to fleetsave you slow your fleet speed down so this only being able to fleetsave for two hours is your inexperience, not the games fault. An inoffensive mode? This will ruin the balance of the game. If people don't want to be attacked they should build a few defences and move their resources away before they build up to a point where a much larger player would see your planet as an appetising target. If you are being targeted relentlessly then that isn't a matter of profit it's a personal one which will not go away if you something like an inoffensive mode.
To be able to play without any threat of your fleet being destroyed is something that I find to be in complete disregard of what this game fundamentally is. A war game

Picon

Postby Picon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:45 pm

An inoffensive mode is a great idea. Almost all war games have the option to hide your troops so to say that it will ruin the game is a complete lie. You can also stop all these excessive farming methods by masking the pirates better. These two suggestions get brought up a lot so I feel that they should be added

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Postby Talizorah » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:02 am

Many of your thoughts mirror what players have been saying since the launch of the game. Here are some tips how players have adapted thus far:

1) concerning fleetsaves (FS). The easiest method of FS is to attack lvl5 pirates. Pirates occur in every system and can be defeated by even a small number of ships. The key to finding the time that best suits your need comes from a variety of factors, but relies on one aspect: the speed of your fleet. The first option you have when FSing is moving the speed slider from 100% all the way down to 10% to fit your need. If this is not enough you can try adding a recovery vessel to your fleet (as they are the slowest ship, save a death star). The slow speed coupled with an RV can get you around a 2-hour, one-way trip (4 hours total) to lvl 5 pirates in your system. If those times are still not long enough to fit your needs, try the next system over and so on until you find the right system that meets your FS time needs. Roughly 20 systems away will give you an 8 hour total FS. Once you find the right system, simply load up all your res onto your ships and attack. Yes, your ships can be loaded up with res, even when attacking.

2) concerning defenses. As of right now, defenses need to be in very high quantities to hold off attackers. Part of their issue is they do not have rapidfire against any ships, while ships have rapidfire against defenses. It can be a little bit of an unfair fight. Building up too many defenses makes you a target for larger players as the higher score players take pride in cracking the defenses of "turtles." Really all you need is enough defense to discourage cargo ship attacks while your fleets are on FS.

3) Concerning "inoffensive mode." I like the idea, as FS can get expensive on gas, depending on fleet size and how long you'll be gone. Suggestions I have liked are ones that allow a toggle between an attack mode and a defense mode, in addition to being in a regular mode. In attack mode, your ships are there ready to go in the offensive and do not take part in defending the planet. Res is free to be plundered unhindered besides ground defenses. In regular mode. Ships take part in defense as per the way it is now. In defense mode your ships help defend the planet and gain a % boost to attack and defense stats. I'd say it would be about an hour for the defense bonus to take place and another hour to switch from defense to general and another hour from general to attack, so players could not easily use the modes to dodge attacks.

4) concerning "civil" ships. I asked this question when I first started as well. To me "civil" means "civilian" and this should not take part in battle. The answer I received is all ships in this game are military, civil simply designates them for their passive use. While it does make sense that these ships would not ever take part in battle, don't think of them non-combatants, but more like troop transports. Troops transports are civil ships as they are generally unarmed, but the go right into the heat of battle. The same goes for the civil ships in this game.

5) concerning planet skins. I love the idea of adding some variety to each planet you colonize. It wouldn't have to be anything intricate, but perhaps having slightly different skins based on the temperature and radius of the planet. From a frozen tundra, to a lush forest or an arid desert. There could be 5 or 6 different skins to represent the temperature. Having buildings change with their lvl is also good idea. Being able to change ship colors or building colors might be a bit much, but I wouldn't mind seeing more customization options added. The PvP aspect of this game very well established, but now I'd like to see the other aspects of the game increased to hold players in the game for more than just building, fighting, and rebuilding.

I hope that helped clear some things up for you, I encourage you to continue reading through the forum as there are a lot of great suggestions and ideas, as well as tips for playing the game. Happy hunting!

Picon

Postby Picon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:57 pm

I'm sick of hearing this fleet save BS that this game is based on. It's dumb beyond all belief. If this is how you play strategy games then this ain't strategy. "This strategy" is going to kill this game, and already is. If your too ignorant to see that and change the system, then your doomed to failure. If you don't fleetsave, you die. There is no point to this at all cause it just gets boring after a month of repeated fleet saving. This flertsave system needs to be destroyed because it's only hurting the game, not helping it. That's my opinion on fleet save

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Postby Talizorah » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:53 pm

I totally agree. My stress levels have gone waaaay up since I started playing this game because of how demanding it is. If you don't pay around the clock attention to the game, the next time you log in everything is gone. GaW really needs a casual mode where players can just pick back up where they left off, even if it has been a week or more since last logging in. This game had the potential to be really great, it is just needing that last little bit to appeal to the casual gamer and not require such vigilance to "have fun."

Bibliophile

Postby Bibliophile » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Personally I'd hate a "casual mode" perhaps a different server for those who aren't hardcore but it would greatly hurt those who attack for a living...

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Postby Talizorah » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:57 pm

I can see how it would hurt those who put more emphasis on PvP than the more casual player. I posted a topic about a patrol option today, I'd be interested in hearing what you have to think on it. There has got to be some way to figure out how to cater the game better to fit the needs of the casual gamer and those who are really dedicated to GaW.

Return to “Bugs and Suggestions”