Building advice?

New players of Galaxy At War can find helps here.

Moderators: GAW Moderator, Forum Moderator

Nifty62

Building advice?

Postby Nifty62 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:11 pm

Hey all,

I'm relatively new to the game and I'm trying to find a guide to building up your planets.

I found some info on gas planets, but nothing about other planets.

Any advice?

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Re: Building advice?

Postby Talizorah » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:17 am

Welcome to GaW!

When building up regular planets, you want to go for the biggest possible radius, and not worry about temperature. When building up a new planet, you first want to start by building up your mines. Level up metal, crystal and gas to lvl 5 first, then level up radar and robotics. At this stage your robotics factory will be very helpful keeping your build times low.

What I find helpful - especially for keeping your planet with a low profile - is to slowly level up your storage tanks as you go, keeping only the minimum amount of res needed on planet, and making your planet less of a target to get farmed while you are building it up.

If you do this, typically, build up all of your mines and other buildings until the building cost of your next possible building requires more resources than your capacity can hold, and then upgrade capacity and repeat the process. Just keep going with this round-robin style of building until you have the following levels met:

-Radar Station lvl 10
-Robotics Factory lvl 10
-Shipyard lvl 10
-Alliance Depot lvl 1
-Solar Plant lvl 20 or 21 (whichever level is needed to keep energy in the green)
-Metal Mine lvl 15
-Crystal Mine lvl 15
-Gas Plant lvl 15
-Metal/Crystal/Gas storage lvl4
* You do not need Underground Bunker, Fusion Reactor, or Research Lab

At this point, it is beneficial to start saving up for your first nanite level if this is NOT your home planet. Nanite halves ship production and building construction times.

If this is your home planet, or if your have built Nanite lvl1, continue leveling up your Metal/Crystal/Gas mines to level 20, and your Solar Plant to level 25. Because this is not a gas planet, it is best not to build a Fusion Reactor, and the Underground bunker is optional, depending on your preferred style of play. At this point, also work on getting your Metal Storage to lvl 6, your crystal storage to lvl 5, and you can upgrade your gas storage to level 5 or keep it at level 4.

NOTE: If you have ships on planet through any of this, ALWAYS fleet save if you are away from the game or that account for longer than 10 min. Even allowing 10 min away could end up having your fleet wiped, so play it safe and FS!

Once you planet looks like this:

-Radar Station lvl 10
-Robotics Factory lvl 10
-Shipyard lvl 10
-Alliance Depot lvl 1
-Solar Plant lvl 25
-Metal Mine lvl 20
-Crystal Mine lvl 20
-Gas Plant lvl 20
-Metal/Crystal/Gas storage lvl6, 5, 4
-Nanite lvl 1

You can begin upgrading Nanite to level 3 (at which point you no longer need the robotics factory and can downgrade it to make room for other buildings - however, if you plan on building up a satellite on the planet, it is better to keep Robotics lvl10 for faster upgrade times). You can also upgrade your Alliance Depot to level 4.

From here, you can then tailor your planet to how you see fit, be it higher mines, or shipyard level, or making it your research planet.

For your research planet - you only need one research lab per account. There are no advantages to having multiple planets with a research lab. It is best to make the planet with your largest radius your research planet. It is best to get to research lab level 12 before attempting research for destroyers, and lab level 16 before attempting research for Death Stars.

It is good to upgrade your Astrophysics as much as possible (maximum lvl16) and build up as many planets (maximum of 9) as you can. Be sure to space them out, no more than 2 planets per system, and spread out over many galaxy to ensure you are not shut down when ghosted by one or more players. Build lots of Large Cargo ships to transport resources between planets to maximize production and get the most out of your mines.

I hope this guide helps! If you have any questions about it, please ask :D

-Tali

Nifty62

Postby Nifty62 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:31 am

Thank you!

This is quite possibly the most helpful post I've read on the forums so far.

I really appreciate the insight!

Nifty62

Postby Nifty62 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Here is a question that I have.

Are you saying that you should build up a single planet before colonizing your second?

Otherwise, my first thought would be to colonize a second planet at about the point where you say to start saving for your first Nanite Factory.

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Postby Talizorah » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:11 pm

No, you can colonize as many as you are able, as soon as you are able. The reason I was making exception for your home planet was because you'll have to build up your research lab there until you get a research planet developed. Then you would downgrade the lab on your home planet for the extra radius. For your main account, it's good to spread your planets out, but the more planets you colonize, the better off you'll be.

For alt accounts, you may decide to go with building a cluster. In this situation, it's very possible to build up your astrophysics level and colonize 4 additional planets before reaching 5k score. But I would suggest developing your main account before starting an alt account. Once you get the hang of FS, building up your two alts for either score or farming becomes much less of a hassle. You are allowed to create 3 accounts per server, per device.

Nifty62

Postby Nifty62 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:10 pm

OK, good to know. :)

Here is another question.

I'm saving up for my first nanite factory but my brother says he thinks they are worthless at this point because we don't bring in enough resources for it to matter.

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Postby Talizorah » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:31 am

If you are able to build battleships or better, or have buildings lvl 10 or higher (mines & solar planet lvl20+) it is totally worthwile. For example, the res required to get to lvl3 nanite is 14M metal, 7M crystal, 1.4M gas. This is the equivalent of 700 cruisers or 22,400 score. The build time of these cruisers with level 10 shipyard an no nanite is 172 hours, or just over 7 days. with nanite 3, that time is reduced to 21 hours.

If you have 4 planets at level 20 mines, your score is just over 100,000 (without any fleet). You can save up the res to have level 1-3 nanite on one planet every 7 days. This is absolutely the best time to start building nanite. It is very important for your development to start building at least nanite lvl1 on each of your planets, and by 150k score, begin upgrading to nanite 2. Before your research for Destroyers is complete (by 250k score at the latest) your main ship-producing planet should have nanite 3.

Always be sure to build more Large Cargos than you think you will need. My experience is you can never have enough. you should have at least 2500 by the time you start your last Hyperspace drive level for destroyers. 4000 LCs = full 99,999,999 resource capacity per fleet.

Nifty62

Postby Nifty62 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:10 pm

Awesome information!

You have been so helpful, I really appreciate your help.

Return to “New Players Forum”