Mechanics of Rapid Fire

New players of Galaxy At War can find helps here.

Moderators: GAW Moderator, Forum Moderator

PrincessLily

Mechanics of Rapid Fire

Postby PrincessLily » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:58 pm

Hello everyone, it's Lily!

Anyways, I'm here to explain to everyone exactly how the idea of "Rapid Fire" works. The majority of people that I have spoken to seem to not fully understand how this mechanic operates. Allow me to enlighten you.

To fully understand this, we first need to go over basic combat. In a single round, without taking anything special into consideration, every ship will fire ONCE at a RANDOM TARGET. No ships will specifically go for a unit, everything is selected at random.

Now lets introduce rapid fire. Lets say that a ship, called 'Ship X' in this circumstance attacks a planet. This planet has 20 Rocket Launchers and 20 Light Fighters.

The battle will start as normal, on Round One.

Lets say that our Ship X has a 90% Rapid Fire against Light Fighters, but none against Rockets.

The battle begins, and Ship X picks a target. It so happens to choose a Rocket Launcher. The ship fires once, because it has no Rapid Fire, and the turn ends.

After all of the enemy ships and defenses have fired, Round 2 begins.

This time, Ship X targets a Light Fighter. It fires, taking the fighter out. Under normal circumstances, its turn would end there, but since it has Rapid Fire against Light Fighters, it then has a (90%) chance of firing again. If that second shot hits another Light Fighter, it will have another (90%) chance to fire again. This will continue until the ship finally targets something that it has no Rapid Fire against.

In theory, if one gets lucky (or unlucky) enough, a single ship can shoot hundreds, or even thousands of times in a single turn, although this is rare.

Also, if a ship is destroyed in a turn, it is not removed from battle until the end of the turn. Therefore, units will still be able to target the destroyed ship in that turn, essentially wasting their shots.

tiger

Re: Mechanics of Rapid Fire

Postby tiger » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:30 am

PrincessLily wrote:Hello everyone, it's Lily!

Anyways, I'm here to explain to everyone exactly how the idea of "Rapid Fire" works. The majority of people that I have spoken to seem to not fully understand how this mechanic operates. Allow me to enlighten you.

To fully understand this, we first need to go over basic combat. In a single round, without taking anything special into consideration, every ship will fire ONCE at a RANDOM TARGET. No ships will specifically go for a unit, everything is selected at random.

Now lets introduce rapid fire. Lets say that a ship, called 'Ship X' in this circumstance attacks a planet. This planet has 20 Rocket Launchers and 20 Light Fighters.

The battle will start as normal, on Round One.

Lets say that our Ship X has a 90% Rapid Fire against Light Fighters, but none against Rockets.

The battle begins, and Ship X picks a target. It so happens to choose a Rocket Launcher. The ship fires once, because it has no Rapid Fire, and the turn ends.

After all of the enemy ships and defenses have fired, Round 2 begins.

This time, Ship X targets a Light Fighter. It fires, taking the fighter out. Under normal circumstances, its turn would end there, but since it has Rapid Fire against Light Fighters, it then has a (90%) chance of firing again. If that second shot hits another Light Fighter, it will have another (90%) chance to fire again. This will continue until the ship finally targets something that it has no Rapid Fire against.

In theory, if one gets lucky (or unlucky) enough, a single ship can shoot hundreds, or even thousands of times in a single turn, although this is rare.

Also, if a ship is destroyed in a turn, it is not removed from battle until the end of the turn. Therefore, units will still be able to target the destroyed ship in that turn, essentially wasting their shots.

Thank you !

PrincessLily

Postby PrincessLily » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:23 pm

You're entirely welcome.

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Postby Talizorah » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:55 am

Just an add-on to this. Ship X does not need to destroy a target it has rapidfire against to choose another tart get, it simply has to target it the first time.

I tested 1 Dread vs 5 Cruisers (120%/100%/130% vs 120%/100%/110%) and had cases where that dread took all 5 out in 3 turns, or was taken out in 2 turns without registering a kill. There were cases of the dread firing multiple shots in a round where no crusiers were destroyed.

Also, a ship shields return to full at the end of each round while damage to the ship armor is cumulative throughout the battle, or until the ship is destroyed. In addition, when a target which the firing ship has rapidfire against falls below 40% armor, the shot has a chance to instantly destroy that ship. In addition, if a ship would deal less than 1% damage to its target, it does no damage. This means all civil ships, light fighters, heavy fighters, rocket launchers and light lasers do no damage to Death Stars.

There currently is a bug with the rapidfire/battle system, where the destroyed ships can still be targeted. When they are targeted, the attack does less than 10% damage and deals no damage. When a ship deals no damage, under the current system, that ship and all other ships of that same type that have yet to fire, end their attack phase for that round. This potentially causes thousands of ships not to attack per round. This bug was fixed in the "Optimized Battle System" patch, but was removed because of overwhelming player complaint for ship loss. The increased ship loss was a result of having the system work as intended and having every ship truly make an attack. The bug was added back into the game because of this.

BleddynT1

Postby BleddynT1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:46 am

Thank you this is incredibly helpful.
I do have a question though. With all this being said it would be rational to assume the larger portion of your fleet should be smaller ships? What ratio should I be adopting to provide adequate 'protection' to my larger more expensive ones?

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Postby Talizorah » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:15 am

BleddynT1 wrote:Thank you this is incredibly helpful.
I do have a question though. With all this being said it would be rational to assume the larger portion of your fleet should be smaller ships? What ratio should I be adopting to provide adequate 'protection' to my larger more expensive ones?

It really depends on your play style. Some players will use a 10:1 or 15:1 Light Fighter:Dreadnought, others will use Cruisers instead. Some players prefer just to use dreads and nothing else, while others still only use Cr.

Here is a good link to a topic talking about this:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=538

Personally I like HFs, Cr, Dread fleets as they have the most rapidfire against other ships. If its a big attack, I will bring Dest and sometimes bombers. If the defending planet has a lot of light lasers, dest are most effective for faster hits, otherwise bombers work well for a lot of ground defenses.

BleddynT1

Postby BleddynT1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:01 pm

Ok thank you. I guess a lot of things have rapid fire against the smaller ships anyway. So if random the bigger ships can still get hit with the second shot regardless?

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Postby Talizorah » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:18 pm

Correct, as long as the attacking ship hits a target it has rapidfire against? It has a % chance of attacking again. This continues until it either hits a ship it doesn't have rapidfire against, or it fails to roll to continue attacking.

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Postby Talizorah » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:18 pm

Here is a handy little table that give a quick look-up for what each ship has rapidfire for and against. Just read it straight across:

Rapidfire.PNG
Rapidfire.PNG (59.46 KiB) Viewed 4763 times

LakeSolon

Postby LakeSolon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:01 pm

That table is neither little nor a jpeg (it's a PNG) but it is handy. I don't suppose you'd mind sharing the non-image source? Or just pasting the text here? Thanks :)

Return to “New Players Forum”