Why I Am Retiring From GAW...

Discuss anything about Galaxy At War Online.

Moderators: GAW Moderator, Forum Moderator

PearlJam

Why I Am Retiring From GAW...

Postby PearlJam » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Dear Community,

I am going to retire from playing GAW and I wanted to share my thoughts and encourage you all to add into the thread. Currently I am the top personal score player on Aquarius. And like many top players from other servers, I am leaving the game within a year of first playing.

Here are the main reasons I am leaving the game:
[*]Too much costs too make the game fun (Porting, Bubbling, Buffs)
[*]Gas costs make it impossible to keep the game interactive enough to sustain longevity of the community
[*]Universe too big, not enough battles
[*]Battles are only a math derivative and not interactive at all
[*]NO REWARDS for team play (Negative glory for joint strikes - really?)
[*]No single player / team mode (outside of the missions which have poor rewards)
[*]No randomness at all in the game (take a look at Borderlands 2 weapon algorithms, Amazing)
[*]Sim City element gets old fast, takes too long, and has a cap.
[*]No customization of my ships, character, buildings, alliance.

Not sure what Sphinx can do to make this game better. But i have spent $$$ on this game and it hasn't held my attention. The only reason I have played this long is because of the people I have gotten to know in my Alliance and other servers (most of which have also quit after 9 months).

I welcome responses on this thread or at my email pearljamgaw@gmail.com

- PJ

No

like GAW:

My Alliance and Team
The Chat Groups and Discussions and Other Social Elements

Aidan1989

Re: Why I Am Retiring From GAW...

Postby Aidan1989 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:38 pm

Pj I agree with everything your saying... The game is lacking interest to play cause of it's the same thing everyday. Has not been fun for a while, but yet I'm holding hope that this will change, it's getting very disappointing... I don't know who long I've played it, and can say that it's becoming very tiresome...

wizmon

Postby wizmon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:50 pm

I completely agree with every point PJ makes. I'm close to a PP6 player - meaning I've spent far too much money on this game, which is a big deterrent after several months. It seems too much of the game is structured to make the developers wealthy, and not enough game improvements by far for the money I've spent. It's only the team interactions that have kept me here so long.

I used to send many game improvement suggestions in. Almost none have been implemented. Everything from horrific grammar and spelling issues - little things that take away from th Polish you'd hope for, to more interactive elements, cheaper gas, hyper jump, and port costs, etc.

I too am seriously considering retiring. The game needs more diversity and many corrections to hold my interest. Additionally, the maximum monthly spend of real money needs to be dramatically lowered. It's far too expensive for most players to compete still the top levels, and even for those of us in the top, become very irritating thinking about how much money we've already spent. Make the game far cheaper, and you'll probably get many more players spending something, for the same or even greater total profits to the devs.

Please fix this quickly - hanging on just barely - and not long before I jump.

sorednax

Postby sorednax » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:42 pm

I too am leaving the game. My reasons are different though. Overpowered players constantly attack my planets and harvest my resources, so I can't really get ahead. It's just no fun anymore.

lawsie

Postby lawsie » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:46 pm

i agree, the DM cost for real money is way way too much, its £80 english for 1600DM, that can give you buffs for a week and a little extra. ONE WEEK. Who would spend £80 per week on a game? I wouldnt even spend £80 on a game to buy never mind to sustain my play in it.

xxROOSTERxx

Postby xxROOSTERxx » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:48 am

While I think everyone can agree with Lawsie, in the fact that the DM is unrealistically priced; the reason I am considering leaving is even more basic. I think it is fair to say that this game is not unique or novel, nor is it new anymore. Besides a few static, graphically impressive (i.e. highly sexualized) images, this game is essentially a glorified spreadsheet set to many (way too long) timers. The gameplay is rudimentary, and unevolved.....the governing algorithm is static and predictable (seriously you can find it online).

So why did I play the game up to this point? Simple, because of the community I experienced when I first joined. Lately, however, a rash of holier-than-mods have all but squashed any type of spirited discussions and interesting conversation. Many players no longer use global chat, either because it no longer holds their interest, or they are afraid of the always prevalent mute hammer from trigger happy mods. The way these servers are (mis)managed are more strict the standards imposed by the FCC for broadcast TV and radio, yet these moods act as if their behavior is preserving the innocence of our youth. Well its time to face facts, any kid under 7 yr old doesn't have the attention span to play a strategy game (with little to no animation); and any kid above the age of 7 has been introduced to more vulgarity and obscene behavior from Katy Perry, Sam n Kat, or any Pixar movie. I also think its worth mentioning that very few kids under 16 are going to spend $$$ on DM, those that do, cannot be purchasing a significant amount (see Lawsie's post). I don't have the data to back this up, but I am willing to wager that the loin share of DM sales are attributed to the adult players. In this respect, logic would dictate that Sphinx is better served to target that demographic. When adults speak about adult issues, can it get rowdy? Yeah, at times it can; so rather than treat us all like 5 yr olds, add a disclaimer indicating that chat discussions may possess adult content and adult situations (i.e, PG-13...not Y-7); that’s a lot easier than trying to draw more young players in hope the G rated environment helps them spend money they don’t have.

So I ask the developers, are the servers being moderated in the manner which you intended? If not, please interject before your servers implode further; however, if this exactly how you want this game moderated, then please respond indicating your intentions, so the rest of us on the fence don't hold on to false hopes of salvaging something we once enjoyed.

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Postby Talizorah » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:17 pm

ROOSTER, what server did you play on?

lawsie

Postby lawsie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:10 pm

i quit today too, mainly because you have to time this game around your life, no game should be like that, mods are a joke on servers too, they are far too into themselves and shouldnt be allowed into alliances as they show none of these qualities when modding their own. Port and attack kills the game for me, you cant have your mobile off the game for more than half an hour at a time (10-15 mins normally) if you lack the gas to constantly move around your fleet.

Port, attack, destroy, steal all debris and bubble shield, not my idea of a game, im out, i will close the door behind me. I even spent money on this game... so yeah thats a paying customer leaving because of this stupid mechanic.

lawsie

Postby lawsie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:19 pm

Talizorah wrote:ROOSTER, what server did you play on?

he plays (did play) on same one as me demater or whatever its called. It's really getting out of hand these cowboy and cowgirl mods.

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Postby Talizorah » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:48 am

lawsie wrote:
Talizorah wrote:ROOSTER, what server did you play on?

he plays (did play) on same one as me demater or whatever its called. It's really getting out of hand these cowboy and cowgirl mods.

Thank you, looking into this.

Return to “General Discussion”