Battle optimization

Discuss anything about Galaxy At War Online.

Moderators: GAW Moderator, Forum Moderator

Talizorah
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Re: Battle optimization

Postby Talizorah » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:23 am

Thank you Frank! That explanation makes a lot if sense. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it :)

Jasonr

Postby Jasonr » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:30 am

I've seen several odd BR's lately. The last one I saw had a player w a large fleet attack 170 large cargo. The defending player only got 140 attacks though. Why would that happen since the attacking fleet was greater than 300 ships? Secondly, it looks like the chaining of attacks isn't working as described originally. It "appears" that the maximum number of targets for a single ship in a single round is 2. So whereas previously a cruiser might target a Light fighter, have a % chance to target another unit, hit a light fighter again, and continue until it failed the probability % or hit a ship type it didn't have an advantage for ... Possibly 100 or more ... Now it seems like it gets a chance for a second attack only. Once the second attack is complete whether it's a ship type it has an advantage for or not ... It's done until the next round. I'm looking at ship counts and number of attacks across two dozen BR's to arrive at that conclusion (factoring in ship types). So if 100 cruisers attack 500 light fighters the normal number of attacks for the cruisers seems to be about 183. That implies only one additional attack is allowed per round. Is this the case?

Nightwolf

Postby Nightwolf » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:47 am

No offense but you guys really need to get on the same page and come up with one answer. All the players on the Virgo server are posting responses that they receive and people are getting told different answers. I would explain my complaint more but my last message was ignored and so was this one. Oh well time to go the dr who route an farm lowbies until they quit and make this game as unenjoyable as you made it for your loyal neglected customers

DoctorWho

Postby DoctorWho » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:52 am

Developers about the light fighters vs the Deathstars not doing damage that sounds like "The Bounce Effect", that you are describing which is not a glitch, however the fact that all of the other light fighters would stop firing seems very odd the way that system was designed to work was that each ship randomly selects a target at the beginning of it's attacking round to fire, if it has rapid fire on that target it rolls for it if successful it pick a new target and repeats the process, if it has an attack power less than 1% of the defending unit it picks shields then that shot is ignored or "bounced" off the shields dealing no damage. This could be the case that the light fighters all targeted the death star and therefore did no damage but if they stopped firing altogether then yes you have a major problem with your coding, however fixing it should have ZERO affect on cruisers vs light fighter battles which has changed tremendously.

Go look up Ogame Bounce effect on google. It's true no matter how many light fighters you throw at a deathstar they are incapable of dealing damage due to this unless a more powerful ship first breaks it's shields. The only way to get around this if I remember correctly was to have a weapons tech of like 10 more levels than the shields tech of the defending Death stars (which is almost impossible considering the tech level to get death stars), then your Light fighters will exceed the bounce effect threshold and be capable of dealing direct damage themselves.

DoctorWho

Postby DoctorWho » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:18 am

sphinx.frank wrote:hey guys, there are actually two facts are affecting the current battle result in new battle mechanism:

1. It was a bug that one ship can be aimed as a target more than one time in a single round even it's destroyed. In new battle mechanism, destroyed ships will no longer be aimed again in a single round.

2. In previous battle mechanism, once an attacking damage is less than 1% of defensive ship's shield, it's going to be ignored. The bug was: say you have 10k of light fighters, if the second one select Death Star as its target, as the damage a LF can do is less than 1% of DS's shield, that attack was ignored, and it would involve the rest 9998 LF's attacking ability: they all cease fire after the second one fail to make an effective attack. I think this explains Talizorah's doubt on battle between Monks and wartsila.

1. Define destroyed exactly? Do you mean the ships that had under say 30% or 50% armor rating that would mark them as capable of being destroyed that round? Because in the Ogame system which you were using that is how it works once a ship reaches less than 30% armor rating it has a chance to explode but if not it continues fighting having to reroll to explode every round or until it reaches 0% armor.

2. The bounce effect is a normal part of the game, although it sounds like you have a targeting issue with death stars possibly.

3. This is NOT a technical explanation of what was changed we all need a technical explanation of what changed exactly this is more like you are trying to explain rocket science to kinder gardeners you may fail to realize this but some of us are pretty adept at the mechanics of this game. Or well we were until it radically changed with no comment from you guys other than to lie directly to my face saying it was nothing new just optimization. That wasn't the case obviously when I lost 16 million resources in my next attack that should have been a profit.

4. In any case I become more and more frustrated that you changed the product so severely with no warning and no updates that it had been done, i stick to the feedback I left in game as to how I feel about it.

"Why are we getting update on changes, AFTER they happen? You understand this is why we are frustrated don't you? If you took your car to the dealership they worked on it and told you "it's just routine maintenance" then three days later told you "oh by the way we removed your break lines" after you had crashed your car and then told you "you should just try adapting without brake lines" would that be proper business practice? That's how we feel right now as customers. We paid for a product you changed it in a detrimental way without our knowledge resulting in our harm."

Jasonr

Postby Jasonr » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Any chance of getting a reply on these questions? I sent some screen captures to the support email earlier today to show you what I'm seeing. Hoping that helps drive to a solid explanation of the mechanics here. Please advise.

Jasonr

Postby Jasonr » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:17 pm

I'm fairly certain that each ship "should" get 1 attack per round, but it appears being the attacker has an advantage in that attacker combat is resolved first now followed by defender. They are no longer simultaneous ... Probably as a result of attacker having to eliminate shields before any defense units. Then each ship gets a "chance" for a second attack on the basis of ship type advantages. Attacks may no longer "chain" indefinitely. Each ship can now have a maximum of two attacks per round. The only exception is the Death Star which appears to still have a chance of an infinite chain of attacks based upon its advantages. Conjecture: it does look like each ship has a chance to explode/implode once it reaches 30% defense in each subsequent round of that attack run. Developers: Can I get confirmation of this please? As a follow up on the Ogama effect ... If a ship does less than 1% damage to shields, is that damage ignored or still cumulative for the purposes of future rounds?

Jasonr

Postby Jasonr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:27 pm

I know you backed the changes out, but can I get a confirmation of my assessment of the new model or the actual combat mechanism if I am wrong? I also never got a response to my BR anomalies sent to support. Please advise.

sphinx.frank
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Postby sphinx.frank » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:32 pm

Jasonr wrote:I'm fairly certain that each ship "should" get 1 attack per round, but it appears being the attacker has an advantage in that attacker combat is resolved first now followed by defender. They are no longer simultaneous ... Probably as a result of attacker having to eliminate shields before any defense units. Then each ship gets a "chance" for a second attack on the basis of ship type advantages. Attacks may no longer "chain" indefinitely. Each ship can now have a maximum of two attacks per round. The only exception is the Death Star which appears to still have a chance of an infinite chain of attacks based upon its advantages. Conjecture: it does look like each ship has a chance to explode/implode once it reaches 30% defense in each subsequent round of that attack run. Developers: Can I get confirmation of this please? As a follow up on the Ogama effect ... If a ship does less than 1% damage to shields, is that damage ignored or still cumulative for the purposes of future rounds?

if a ship does less than 1% of damage, the damage will be ignored. but if the attacking ship survives for this round, it will randomly pick another target to fire.

traffer

Postby traffer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:40 pm

sphinx.frank wrote:if a ship does less than 1% of damage, the damage will be ignored...

Is this rule applied to defensive structures as well? Let's say, a death star attacks a planet with 100,000 light lasers built on it. Do the lasers have a chance to take the death star down or do not?
Death star has a shield = 50,000, a single light laser attack = 100. This is less than 1% of damage.

Return to “General Discussion”